Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Immer Etwas

A German phrase meaning "it is always something" which I learned a few years ago from a favorite cousin. We loved to use this phrase between ourselves, bantering it back and forth whenever the situation called for it. An appliance would break and she would tell me "immer etwas". An item purchased from the store was faulty and needed to be returned and I would tell her "immer etwas". We enjoyed this phrase and it was our personal connection.

Well, dear readers, let me tell you that in the past 10 days I have been saying Immer Etwas to myself on numerous occasions (along with some other phrases that could not be published). And, why, you might ask? Because my 18 month old Blog "Two Sides of the Ocean" just up and disappeared off the face of the Internet.

WHAT? I can hear you all rallying behind me in support after this disastrous occasion. Yes, my blog is gone and I am told by Blogger that it was deleted on my end and cannot be retrieved. Now how this would happen is beyond me - my 83 year old mother lives with me and there is no way she even touches my computer. The only other person in this home is my 10 year old poodle, Zoya,

and while she is very smart, she does stay away from my office mostly because it is in the lower level of the home and she hates to be down here. So that leaves me to have deleted the blog and unless I sleepwalk, I don't know how it could have happened.

After several back and forths with my blogger cousin, TK, of Before My Time, we have concurred that the blog is gone and I will just have to recreate it. This could not have happened at a more inopportune time as I am 6 1/2 weeks away from my long awaited trip to Berlin and had intended to take my laptop and post to my blog from there.

Now for all those followers of my blog, fellow bloggers or not, here is a lesson for all of us - BACK UP. I am here to tell you that I am glad that I am a compulsive gal. Why, because cousin, TK, had told me from day one of my blog that I should copy and paste each post to a Word file for safekeeping and I faithfully did that. And I am relieved to say that all my 18 months' worth of posts are safely sitting in a Word file along with copies of the images that I used. Now, I will add that TK herself told me that it was such a great idea she couldn't understand why she herself didn't do the same!

So I have wrung my hands for the last week over this issue and now took the plunge tonight and created a new blog with a new URL but the same title. And here is the recreated blog "Two Sides of the Ocean" in new form and style. My German cousin, Gerhard, has already told me that he will help me create a new header for my blog when I am in Berlin and since he is a retired graphic designer I can only imagine how creative he will be. He is one talented person.

So please continue to visit my blog and watch the changes that will occur to its format over the next months.

Above photo of Zoya -
Copyright © 2006 by Cheryl J. Schulte

6 comments:

Becky said...

Oh, my! What a terrible thing to happen. Even with having all your posts in Word (which is what I also do, and have done from the beginning of my blog) it will be an enormous undertaking to restore them. All the pictures to be posted, all the links to other posts to be recreated with the new urls. All the comments, gone. All of that work. You have my heartfelt sympathy.

I do think Blogger makes it too easy to delete a blog. I've created several for testing purposes and then deleted them. Blogger does ask if you are sure you want to delete it but with two clicks, it's gone.

I'm looking forward to the posts on your trip, and experiencing the journey with you, so to speak.

Cheryl said...

Thanks, Becky,

I appreciate the support. While I am relieved that I have back-ups, you are correct that it would take forever to recreate everything. But little by little I will do it.

Lidian said...

Oh, that is awful! I am so sorry to hear this - I knowingly deleted a blog from Blogger once and like Becky, I was amazed at how easy it is to do on Blogger.

I look forward to reading about your trip to Germany. I am 1/4 German with ancestry in Mecklenburg and Baden, mostly.

Cheryl said...

Thanks, Lidian, for the comments. You are right that it was a big shock to find my blog gone. Hopefully I will be able to continue to post while in Germany.

Apple said...

I'm glad you have a backup and that Jasia & TK got the word out. I don't know why so many have had problems lately.

I used to back everything up to Word and then I got lazy. I now have a WP backup and I also have a subscribe by email option on my blog and by subscribing myself I have all of my posts that came after that option saved in an email folder.

Cheryl said...

Thanks,Apple, for the comments. Sometimes I think I am too compulsive with backing up (I back up my transcription on not one but two external hard drives) but I was glad that the blog was backed up and that I can use the old posts as information for new ones.