Monday, February 16, 2009

From Whence I Came...Juliane Feucht

On February 16, 1870, in Detroit, Michigan, a baby daughter was born to Johann Jacob Feucht and his wife, Magdalena (Helena) Bauer. This daughter was named Christine Katherine Juliane but she was called Juliane for her entire life. One day she would be one of my great-grandmothers!

Juliane was the 6th of what would be 10 children born to Jacob and Helena and she joined her older siblings Elizabeth, Rosa and Conrad. Two other siblings, Georg and Karoline had died as infants.

A devout Lutheran couple, Jacob and Helena had their baby daughter baptized on March 20, 1870 at Trinity Lutheran Church in Detroit. Her sponsors were Peter and Christine Lutz and Katharine Feucht. The minister performing the baptism was the Rev. J.A. Huegli who served Trinity from 1860-1902. It is unknown to me at this time who these sponsors were in relation to the Feucht family but obviously Katharine Feucht was in some way related.



The 1870 US census for Detroit, MI shows the Jacob and Helena Feucht family with Juliane listed as a 3 month old infant.




















The 1880 US census showed the family again, living on Macomb Street in Detroit, with Juliane now 10 years old.






















No data is known of Juliane's life from birth until she married, nor how she and her future husband met, but I do have this photo of her that was taken when she was a teenager. I feel she was one beautiful young woman.



On October 7, 1891 Juliane married Rudolph Myer Schulte at Bethany Lutheran Church in Detroit. Their witnesses at their marriage were Felix Hauer, the husband of Rudolph's sister, Elizabeth, and Margaret Feucht, the sister of Juliane.



On May 14, 1892, a baby daughter, Irene Elisabeth, was born to Rudolph and Juliane, but she passed away shortly after birth and was buried in the Feucht family plot at Trinity Lutheran Cemetery on Mt. Elliot Avenue in Detroit.

On August 4, 1894, Juliane and Rudolph welcomed a baby son, Elmer Meyer Schulte, into their family and it was obvious that Juliane was a loving mother. When I was growing up, my grandfather, Elmer, talked lovingly to me about his mother and his memories of her.

In my grandparent's home was this lamp which my grandfather told me had belonged to his mother, Juliane, and I am proud to have this lamp in my home now, over 100 years after my great-grandmother was enjoying it in her home.



In 1898, Rudolph was in the Navy, serving in the Spanish American War and Juliane was at home in Detroit raising son, Elmer. By 1900, Rudolph was home and the family appeared in the 1900 Detroit census living on St. Aubin Avenue. Why Rudolph is listed as "W.F." Schulte is obviously an error with the census taker.



The personal information I have on Juliane came to me from my grandfather and I wish now that I had questioned him more on his mother. He told me that his mother was a wonderful person and he was very close to her, however, she became ill in 1906 with cancer, about the time this photo was taken of her with her husband and son.



On January 14, 1907, my great-grandmother, Juliane Feucht Schulte, passed away from liver cancer and she was buried in her Schulte in-law's family plot at Trinity Lutheran Cemetery on Mt. Elliot in Detroit. There was a gravestone on the grave which over the years was vandalized and removed. But I have visited the grave often and, hopefully, my great-grandmother has felt the fact that her great-granddaughter thinks often of her.



Today, February 16, 2009, would be my great-grandmother, Juliane's 139th birthday. Very few photos of Juliane exist though I am happy for the three that I have. Despite only having his mother for 12 years, my grandfather carried many memories of her with him for his whole life and he was the most wonderful and loving man there could be; I am sure these qualities came to him from his mother as well.

I think my great-grandmother would be pleased to know that her only great-granddaughter is honoring her memory in this way.





Above photos and images - personal collection of Cheryl Schulte

No comments: