Tuesday, February 16, 2021

From Whence I Came - Juliane Feucht

CHRISTINE KATHERINE JULIANE FEUCHT

On February 16, 1870, in Detroit, Michigan, a baby daughter was born to Johann Jacob Feucht (known as Jacob) and his wife, Magdalena Helena Bauer (known as Helena).  This daughter was named Christine Katherine Juliane but was called Juliane or Julia for her entire life.  She was one of my great-grandmothers.

Juliane was the 6th of what would be 10 children born to Jacob and Helena and at her birth she joined her older siblings Elizabeth, Rosa and Johann Conrad.  Two other siblings, Johann Georg and Karoline, had died as infants.

A devout Lutheran couple, Jacob and Helena had their baby daughter baptized on March 20, 1870 at Trinity Lutheran Church in Detroit.  Her sponsors were Peter and Christine Lutz and Katharine Feucht.  The minister performing the baptism was the Rev. J.A. Huegli who served Trinity from 1860-1902.  It is unknown to me at this time who these sponsors were in relation to the Feucht family but in all likelihood Katharine Feucht was in some way related.




The 1870 Detroit, Michigan, US Census shows the Jacob and Helena Feucht family with Juliane listed as a 3 month old infant.



The 1880 Detroit, Michigan, US Census showed the family, living on Macomb Street in Detroit, with Juliane now 10 years old.



No data is known of Juliane's life from 10 years old until she married, nor how she and her future husband met, but I do have this photo of her that was taken when she was a teenager.  I feel she was one beautiful young woman:



On October 7, 1891 Juliane married Rudolph Myer Schulte at Bethany Lutheran Church in Detroit.  Their witnesses were Margaret Feucht, the sister of Juliane and Felix Hauer who in 1893 would marry Rudolph's sister, Elizabeth:






On May 14, 1892 a baby daughter, Irene Elisabeth, was born to Rudolph and Juliane, however, she passed away at birth and is buried in the Feucht family plot at Trinity Lutheran Cemetery on Mt. Elliott Avenue in Detroit.

On August 4, 1894, Juliane and Rudolph welcomed a baby son, Elmer Meyer Schulte, into their family and it was obvious that Juliane was a loving mother.  When I was growing up, my grandfather, Elmer, talked lovingly to me about his mother and his memories of her.


The above photo I also have in a locket which is a treasured possession.

In 1900 Rudolph, Juliane and Elmer appeared in the 1900 Detroit, Michigan, US Census showing them living on St. Aubin Avenue.  An error by the census taker shows Rudolph's name as W.F. Schulte:


In 1906 the following photo was taken of the Rudolph and Juliane Schulte family with son, Elmer, age 12:



On January 14, 1907 my great-grandmother, Juliane Feucht Schulte, passed away from cancer of the liver.  She was buried in her Schulte in-law's family plot at Trinity Lutheran Cemetery on Mt. Elliott Avenue in Detroit.  I was told that there was a gravestone on the grave but over the years it was vandalized and removed.  I have visited the cemetery over the years and, hopefully, my great-grandmother has felt the fact that her only great-granddaughter thinks often of her.






Today I am thinking of my great-grandmother on what would be the 151st anniversary of her birth. Very few photos of Juliane exist though I am happy for the three that I have.  Despite only having his mother for 12 years, my grandfather carried many warm memories of her with him for his entire life.  He was the most wonderful and loving grandfather and I am sure these qualities came to him from his mother.

Copyright 2021, Cheryl J. Schulte

No comments: