Tuesday, December 28, 2021

From Whence I Came - George William Wellhausen

GEORGE WILLIAM WELLHAUSEN

Here I am with my final post in the "From Whence I Came" series that I began at the beginning of this year.  Over this year I have posted on each of my four grandparents and seven of my great-grandparents.  This post, today, will complete the series when I post about my eighth great-grandparent.

George William Wellhausen was born December 28, 1869 in Detroit, Michigan to Charles Ernst Wellhausen and Christina Graumann.  He was their fifth child and first son with daughters Bertha, Augusta, Caroline and Anna born prior to his birth.  Two additional sons, Edward and Charles, would be born after George's birth.  In later years, George would become the father of my paternal grandmother, Ella Wellhausen Schulte.

While George was born in Detroit the family soon relocated to Clinton Township, Michigan in Macomb County where he met his future wife, Amelia Schluessler.  They were married on February 14, 1895.  This was Valentine's day which makes me wonder if he was a romantic man!

Together George and Amelia had three children - daughters Gertrude and Ella and son, George, Jr.

I do know that my great-grandfather enjoyed hunting and fishing as my uncle, Melbourne Schulte, relates that his grandfather taught him both sports which were activities that my father was definitely not interested in.  Obviously George enjoyed his hunting with his younger brother, Edward, as well as these photos depict:



Over the years George tried farming but it proved too strenuous for his health conditions.  He later ran a General Store which was more suited to his health.  He was also civic minded and served as the Clerk of Utica, Michigan from 1917-1918 and as Mayor of Utica from 1920-1921.

George was particularly fond of his granddaughter, Alvis Jean, who was born to his son, George, Jr. and wife, Eleanor.  I have several photos showing Alvis with her grandpa and it is obvious that he loved having her around as this photo taken July 1, 1935 shows:


Anolther photo taken in 1935 shows George Wellhausen, Jr. holding his son, Lynwood with Alvis Jean standing in front of her grandpa, George Wellhausen, Sr.  What the dog's name was is anyone's guess but I am betting it was the hunting dog!


Tragically, Alvis would pass away at the age of 5 after an accident.  Her death greatly affected George perhaps contributing to his own death a few years later.

George Wellhausen passed away on April 8, 1938 in Utica, Michigan and he is buried with his wife, Amelia, in Utica Cemetery.

Following George's death my uncle, Mel Schulte, asked his grandmother Wellhausen if he could have his grandfather, George's, car which he desperately wanted.  George had taught his grandson how to drive and had let him drive this car around their property on different occasions.  Amelia agreed to sell the car to Mel for $300 but not until Mel had proved to her that he had the money readily available.  We have had some good laughs about that remarking "that definitely sounds like great-grandma" who was known for her frugal ways.

A few years ago my uncle Mel submitted the story about the purchase of his first car along with a photo to Reminisce Magazine who selected the story and photo for their yearly calendar.  He was mighty proud of this selection and the memories of his grandfather that this evoked:


While I never knew my great-grandfather, George Wellhausen, I have been thinking of him on this the 152nd anniversary of his birth.

Copyright 2021, Cheryl J. Schulte

No comments: