Monday, February 8, 2021

52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks - Week 6 "Valentine"

WELLHAUSEN/SCHLUESSLER VALENTINE WEDDING

When I began my genealogical research in the 1970's I began with my paternal grandmother's parents.  My grandmother was still living and had a treasure trove of memories to share with me.  One of the first things she told me was "Ma and Pa were married on Valentine's Day in 1895".  Why that day, I don't know, but in doing a little Google search I learned that day in 1895 fell on a Thursday.  

My research on this family began back in the day when there were no personal computers, certainly no Internet, no Ancestry.com, etc.  My first step in this research was to visit the church where my grandmother told me her parents were married - St. John's Lutheran Church in Fraser, Michigan which is in Macomb County.  

I visited the church and the secretary graciously brought me out the huge book of marriages and I began my research.  Armed with the date of the marriage I was able to quickly find the following entry:

Groom:  George William Wellhausen

Bride:  Emilie Auguste Christina Schluessler

Date of Marriage:  February 14, 1895 by Rev. Frederick Dreyer

Witnesses (and this was a surprise - 6 individuals were listed as witnesses):

Rosa Bloss and Edward Wellhausen - Edward was the brother of the groom and in 1897 he would marry Rosa Bloss.  

Louisa Wellhausen (probably Caroline Louisa Wellhausen) sister of the groom.

William Schluessler, Jr. - brother of the bride.

Emily Klein (probably Amelia Klein) and Louis Priehs - friends of the bride and groom and who would also marry in the near future.

This information I copied by hand as there was no smart phone to capture the picture!

In later years I was able to find their official marriage listing in the records of the State of Michigan:


Marriage Entry of George Wellhausen and 
Amelia Schluessler
State of Michigan
1895

This entry massacred the surnames of both the bride and groom which is something I have seen many times in my research, however, all of the other information was accurate.  Additional information from this entry showed that the license was issued on February 7, 1895.  Parent's names were listed for both the bride and groom, their occupations, places of residence, etc.  It is a wonderful resource with a wealth of information.

I don't have any photos of my great-grandparents from their wedding; it would be wonderful to have had an actual wedding portrait but there was none to be found.  

I have many photos of my great-grandmother as she lived until 1963 and I knew her well.  I was 16 when she passed away.  I have few photos of my great-grandfather as he died 25 years earlier.  

In looking at the witnesses to their marriage and the fact that 4 of the witnesses were 2 couples destined to also marry in the future, perhaps there was a "romantic" theme to choosing February 14th for their marriage.  

I will never know but I can dream!


George and Amelia Wellhausen
with grandson, Lynwood Wellhausen,
1935

No comments: