Monday, January 4, 2021

52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks - Week 1 "Beginnings"

CHARLES ERNST WELLHAUSEN

Charles Ernst Wellhausen was my 2nd great-grandfather.  While I did not know him, he was the impetus for my beginning genealogy research in the mid-1970's.

At that time my paternal grandmother was still living.  She came to visit one day and the conversation turned to HER ancestors.  I had known her mother (my great-grandmother Wellhausen) who passed away when I was 16 and I had many photos and memories of "great-grandma".  In the course of that conversation with my grandmother she talked about HER grandparents and it piqued my interest.  I was living in the same area of Michigan as her grandparents had and I decided to do some research on her grandfather.

Charles Ernst Wellhausen was born on 24 July 1833 in Alt Kentzlin, Demmin, Mecklenburg-Vorpommern, Germany.  He was married on 23 March 1860 in Hohenbollentin, Demmin, Mecklenburg-Vorpommern, Germany to Christina Graumann.  They later immigrated to the US and settled in Mt. Clemens, Michigan in Macomb County.  He passed away there in Mt. Clemens on 13 April 1909.

At the outset of my research, of course, I did not know all the above information.  I did visit the cemetery where he is buried and was able to learn some basic dates.  It was, though, during a visit to a local library that I uncovered an extraordinary book that referred to Charles Ernst Wellhausen.

In the St. Clair Shores library in Macomb County there was an 11" x 14" hard cover book that was for sale.  It had been advertised in the local newspaper and I went there on a whim to see the book.  The book was entitled "1859 Wall Map, 1875 Atlas Map, 1895 Atlas of Macomb County, Michigan".  In looking through the 1895 Atlas section I found something that excited me.  This section included a page by page listing of 15 local residents' farms or businesses with small pictures of the husband and wife on the top of each page.  In that section I found a page titled "Residence of Charles Wellhausen, Section 20, Clinton Township".

Charles Wellhausen home and farm, 1895,
Clinton Township, Michigan

Needless to say I purchased the book.  I'm not sure anymore how much the cost was but probably no more than $20 or $25.  I remember taking the book and driving to my grandmother's apartment where I showed her the photos and asked her "is this your grandfather Wellhausen" to which she concurred it was, adding "my grandfather looked like one of the Smith brothers from the Smith brothers cough drop company"!

Not only did I now have photos of both Charles and Christina Wellhausen but I had an actual photo of their farm and home as well as the location.  It was a very exciting find and a great way to start my genealogical journey.

In more recent years I have learned that the Wellhausen home is still standing although over the years the farm property was sectioned off and more homes were built.  I have had contact with the family now owning the home and there are many similarities in its appearance today to the way it was in the 1890's.

I believe that Charles Wellhausen would be pleased that the home he had in the 1890's is still standing, in good condition, today.

Copyright 2021, Cheryl J. Schulte 

No comments: