Monday, March 29, 2021

52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks - Week 13 "Music"

ANCESTRAL MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS

Music has always been an integral part of my family.  My mother played the piano and had a beautiful Soprano voice.  She sang with her younger brother at church performances in their youth and progressed to singing in church choirs her entire life.  Her singing always filled our home.  

Going back in my ancestral history I learned early on that two of my great-grandfathers owned interesting musical instruments which came with interesting stories.

My mother's paternal grandfather, John Albert Kijak, was born May 20, 1861 in Taniborz, Poznan, Poland to Thomas Kijak and Balbina Korcz.  He immigrated to the United States, via Canada and into Bay City, Michigan on June 19, 1882.  Even with this exact date, which my grandmother recorded in her journal, I have never been able to find a passenger list containing his name.

In any event, when he came to the US he brought with him this tiny flute which according to my grandparents he had used in Poland to herd sheep.  Years later I learned this instrument is actually called a "recorder":


In Bay City, Michigan John Kijak had a career as a butcher and he also lived for a while in Detroit, Michigan where he worked as a butcher as well.  Here is a photo of John, with his fellow butchers in 1913, while living and working in Detroit, Michigan:


John Kijak in later years when living with his son and family in St. Joseph, Michigan:

My great-grandfather, John Albert Kijak, passed away on August 19, 1945 in St. Joseph, Michigan and he is buried in Resurrection Cemetery also in St. Joseph.  I never knew him as he died just three years before I was born. 

I still have his flute/recorder, however, which by my estimation is at least 150 years old.  It is a treasured keepsake!

----------

In other musical news, my father's paternal grandfather, Rudolph Myer Schulte, was born October 24, 1869 in Beckum, Westfalen, Preußen, Germany to Joseph Meyer Schulte and Alvina Tobian.  Together with his parents, Rudolph (aged 2 1/2) arrived in the United States on April 24, 1872 after two weeks at sea going directly to Detroit, Michigan.

As an adult Rudolph was a Detroit City Fireman and a Wayne County Sheriff and in later years he was an insurance salesman.  

As an insurance salesman Rudolph took payments from his customers for their premiums.  At one point in the 1920's a customer did not have the money for his premium.  He suggested a swap to Rudolph of a German violin and Rudolph accepted this and evidently paid the man's premium out of his own pocket.

The violin was passed down in the family over the years and eventually my father received it.  My father, a great jokester, would always tell me that (1) it was a Stradivarius and (2) that he could play it himself.  Both were big jokes.  He definitely could not play it and it certainly was not a Stradivarius though it was truly a German made violin with a date inside of 1850.

I have the violin in my home now and have had it appraised and repaired.  It rests in my china cabinet and is a treasured keepsake from my great-grandfather:

Here is a photo of the Detroit Firefighters Group with Rudolph Schulte in the bottom row, far right:

Rudolph at 21 years old:


Rudolph Schulte passed away in Detroit on April 1, 1940 and he is buried in Elmwood Cemetery also in Detroit.  I never knew him but I have many photos and have learned many interesting stories about him that are special to me.

2 comments:

Barb LaFara said...

What terrific keepsakes. It's interesting that no one in your family played the violin but it became a treasured heirloom. Too bad there is no way to discover the family who brought it with them when they immigrated. The photos of your great grandfathers are special, too. Thanks for sharing.

Cheryl said...

Thank you for your comment, Barb. I appreciate it.