Monday, March 1, 2021

52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks - Week 9 "Multiples"

THE SCHLUESSLER TWINS

In all my years of genealogical research I have not uncovered evidence of many multiple births in my direct line.  Recently I did learn from newly released church books from Tangen, Kreis Bütow, Pommern that my 4th great grandfather, Joachim Kautz was a twin.  Joachim and his twin brother, George Kautz, were born August 12, 1759 in Tangen to parents Joachim Kautz and Anna Marie Jarke. This was an interesting discovery for me and only the second set of twins in my direct line.  Definitely more research will be needed on these twins to see if I can flesh out more information on them.

For the purposes of this post, though, I am featuring my great-grandmother and her twin brother.  As I have written before about this great-grandmother and her Valentine, 1895 wedding, Emilie Auguste Christina Schluessler and her twin brother, Albert August Christian Schluessler, were born November 25, 1876 in Sterling Township, Macomb County, Michigan to parents Wilhelm Schluessler and Emilie Schauer as their 4th and 5th children.  As I was 16 when my great-grandmother passed away I did know her well and she often discussed the fact that she was a twin.

Both Emilie and Albert were baptized on December 3, 1876 at St. John's Lutheran Church in Fraser, Macomb County, Michigan.  It is interesting to note that their two middle names mirrored each other.  Each baby had 3 godparents but none of their godparents were family members.  

Eventually Emilie would marry George Wellhausen on February 14, 1895 at St. John's and twin brother, Albert would marry Anna Auguste Quandt (Annie) on September 4, 1909 in Detroit.  Both families settled in the Utica/Sterling Township, Michigan areas and raised their respective families there.  

Albert Schluessler passed away on November 7, 1944 in Utica and he is buried in Utica Cemetery.  His wife, Anna (Annie), 14 years younger than him lived to the age of 102 passing away on February 25, 1993 in Utica, Michigan.  She is buried with Albert in Utica Cemetery.

My great-grandmother, Emilie Schluessler Wellhausen, passed away on May 25, 1963 in St. Clair Shores, Michigan and is buried with her husband, George Wellhausen, in Utica Cemetery as well.  George Wellhausen died on April 8, 1938 in Utica.

This is the only photo I have that includes Albert Schluessler:


Left to Right:  Emilie Schluessler Wellhausen, Annie Quandt Schluessler,
 Albert Schluessler, Helena Schluessler Herz Rine and son Edward Herz,
Catherine Quandt, mother of Annie
Picture taken before 1928

This is all pretty much dry material in the research of one's family.  While names, dates, places are vital pieces of information adding some flavor to the story adds quality.

When I began my research in the 1970's I questioned my grandmother, Ella Wellhausen Schulte, about her family.  She mentioned to me one day that she still had an aunt living.  This surprised me as my grandmother was then 82 years old herself.  She explained that the wife of her Uncle Albert (her mother's twin brother) was still living as she had been much younger than her husband.  In reality Annie Quandt Schluessler was only 6 years older than my grandmother.

I suggested that we go and visit her aunt but my grandmother didn't feel inclined to do that.  She made excuses such as "Aunt Annie won't remember me", "I haven't seen or talked to her in years", etc.  I took it upon myself one day to just telephone Aunt Annie in Utica.  I explained who I was and she was very gracious and pleased to hear from someone in the family.  Of course, she knew who my grandmother was and she invited us to come visit her.  She also mentioned another niece, Helen Steffen, and wondered if she could come with us to visit her as well.  I set it up with her and THEN told my grandmother!

Once everything was arranged and my grandmother was assured that her Aunt Annie was eager to see us my grandmother was on board.  We contacted my grandmother's cousin, Helen Rine Steffen, who was also excited to pay Aunt Annie a visit.  

We found Aunt Annie, at 88 years young, to be gracious and pleasant.  She had baked a cake and served us cake and coffee.  She had a beautiful home where she still lived independently and showed us her beautiful flower gardens that she tended herself.  Her daughter had come to visit as well and we had a wonderful afternoon:

Aunt Annie Schluessler in center with nieces,
Ella Wellhausen Schulte on left and
Helen Rine Steffen on right
1978

Not long after my grandmother gave me a box of old photos and what did I find but a photo of these same 3 women, standing in the same position, dated 1918 - 60 years previous:


Ella Wellhausen Schulte, Aunt Annie Schluessler,
Helen Rine Steffen,
1918

Undoubtedly they had seen each other during the 60 year interval but it was an interesting photo in any case and another example of "multiples"!  Multiple photos of the same trio.

Copyright 2021, Cheryl J. Schulte   

2 comments:

TK said...

Great story, and great photos!

Cheryl said...

Thanks, TK. I appreciate your support.