Monday, October 4, 2021

52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks - Week 40 "Preservation"

KEEPSAKE ITEMS TO PRESERVE

I have been very fortunate to have inherited many keepsake items from my parents, grandparents and even a few from great-grandparents.  These are very important to me and are items I want to preserve.  While I don't have children of my own I am hopeful that my niece (with three young sons) or my nephew will one day continue to keep and preserve these items.

Here are some examples:

A six volume set of "The New Practical Reference Library Encyclopedia" dated 1915 which was owned by my great-grandfather, Rudolph Schulte (1869-1940).  The illustrations in these books are outstanding and they are handy reference guides to events in the world prior to 1915:



A German violin which also belonged to my great-grandfather, Rudolph Schulte (1869-1940).  Rudolph was an insurance salesman in the 1920's.  He had a client who could not pay his insurance premium so he gave Rudolph this German violin in exchange for his insurance premium.  The violin is dated from the 1850's:



A German prayer book which belonged to my great-grandmother, Bertha, nee Kramp, Kolberg (1860-1915).  She brought this book to the US when she immigrated on November 28, 1883 from Klein Tuchen, Kreis Bütow, Pommern, Germany:




My most prized possession is this cut glass mushroom lamp which belonged to my great-grandparents, Rudolph (1869-1940) and Juliane, nee Feucht (1870-1907), Schulte.  This lamp dates to the mid-1890's and was in their home throughout their marriage and later passed down in the family until I received it.  This lamp is special to me because it is the only item I have of my great-grandmother who passed away at the young age of 36:



A childhood roll top desk that was my father's (1923-1996).  I still use this desk today to hold office supplies and I have a desk lamp placed on top:




A Polish flute (or better known as a recorder) which belonged to my great-grandfather, John Kijak (1861-1945), who used this flute to call sheep while he was still living in Poland.  He immigrated to the US from Taniborz, Tulce, Poland, on June 19, 1882:



A photo album that belonged to my great-grandmother, Amelia, nee Schluessler, Wellhausen (1876-1963).  This type of album is frequently seen now in antique shops:



My mother's (1925-2016) cedar chest which she received for her high school graduation in 1943 from her parents.  Her parents had this cedar chest hidden in their own bedroom, covered with a quilt, for weeks before the graduation and my mother told me she never noticed anything different:


 All of these items are important to me and are all displayed in my home.  It is important to me, as a genealogist and family historian, that these items continue to be preserved.

Copyright 2021, Cheryl J. Schulte

7 comments:

My mother's daughter said...

Lucky you, Cheryl!

Barb LaFara said...

I do hope your niece or nephew takes an interest in treasuring these keepsakes. Enjoy them while they are yours. Thanks for sharing.

Cheryl said...

Thanks, Barb, for your comments.

Marian B. Wood said...

You have some lovely heirlooms, and they are in such good shape!

Cheryl said...

Thanks, Marian, for your comments. I have tried to keep these items in good condition despite their age.

Tonya Ferguson said...

You are so very fortunate to have so many keepsakes, all beautiful items. I collect Early American Pattern Glass and particularly like the glass lamp.

Cheryl said...

Thank you Tonya for your comments. I, also, really love my great-grandparent's lamp. I try to visualize it in their home in the late 1890's and early 1900's.