Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Berlin Trip, 2008 - Day 14

DAY 14 - THE GRAND FINALE

All good things must come to an end and today would be my last day in Berlin.  Our day would be laid back and relaxing and would be a grand finale to my entire vacation.  

Breakfast was at 9 at Gerhard's apartment and then we decided to take one last walk around Marzahn, through the parks and the market area and back to the apartments.  For a fall day it was lovely-not too hot and not too cold.

We returned to Gerhard's apartment and had more genealogy talk and viewing of more photos.  Gerhard has a never ending supply of photos, videos and DVD's and they are all professional and interesting.

Dinner at 2 was at Uschi and Harald's where Uschi had made a special dish for me - none other than wiener schnitzel!  I was trying to remember and I believe it was my 5th or 6th meal of wiener schnitzel since being in Berlin and this time was the best, of course, as it was homemade.  We had a leisurely dinner with talking followed by some relaxing time.

In the late afternoon, Uschi, Gerhard and myself, as well as Kira, drove to Oliver and Mandy's apartment where we had been invited to visit.  They had a very nice apartment on the 5th floor of the building.  Mandy served us coffee, tea and dessert.  She used the beautiful tea set that her grandmother had given them as a wedding gift.

We then went into their living room and viewed a video tape that Gerhard had made in 2000 after his return to Germany from their visit to us in Michigan.  Gerhard told me that he did not have an English version but he would give me a German copy that I could take home.

We later returned to our apartments and I began to pack and get some sleep before my early morning flight the next morning.

Copyright 2008, Cheryl J. Schulte

No comments: