Friday, October 10, 2008

Berlin Trip, 2008 - Day 2

DAY 2 - DÜSSELDORF TO BERLIN

It was 6:30 a.m. and we were landing in Düsseldorf.  The terminal was very empty this early and going through customs and security check again took but a few minutes other than the fact that for the first time in my traveling history I set off the security alarms from what I don't know.  Here comes running a woman security guard with her electronic wand which she passes over my body top to bottom, raise your arms, hold your arms out, lift up one leg, turn your foot, lift up the other leg, turn your foot, and then "okay, go".  My gate was quickly found and it was deserted as it was way too early for the 9:25 a.m. flight to Berlin.

Again I sat and read more of "Family Tree" and was getting mighty interested in the plot of the book when people started arriving.  Finally a Lufthansa agent appeared and opened up the gate but it was NOT for my flight but for an earlier flight to Stuttgart.  More sitting, reading and people watching of which there were few.  An Air Berlin airplane pulled in outside the window and I took this picture though that was not to be my airplane:


It wasn't until 9 a.m. when an agent appeared and opened up the gate again and activated the sign board showing:


Now we were getting someplace!

Boarding took place and this plane was nearly empty.  Again I had the seats to myself which was really good.  By now I was getting excited to be seeing Gerhard again after 8 years and to be meeting his daughter, Uschi, who is near to my age.  My niece and nephew had both visited Berlin in the intervening 8 years and met the remainder of Gerhard's family but I had not.

The flight to Berlin was only about 35 minutes during which beverages and snacks were again served.  There is no lack of feeding passengers with Lufthansa.  More was read in "Family Tree" which I was thoroughly enjoying.

The plane landed quickly in Berlin and we were at the gate in no time at all.  Once in the terminal the luggage was retrieved within only a few steps in a glass enclosed room.  I was glancing around through the glass windows while waiting for my luggage when I saw Gerhard and Uschi waving at me.  It appeared that the rest of the arriving passengers did not have anyone waiting for them as when I went through the security doors into the terminal itself Gerhard and Uschi were the only people waiting.

It was good to see Gerhard again and to meet Uschi and they both promptly took my luggage and my arms appreciated that.  A few steps away was the entrance to the parking garage and we were on our way into Berlin.  

They informed me that we would take a short driving tour through Berlin and then find a restaurant for dinner (their noon day meal).  This short driving tour was very lengthy as traffic was exceptionally heavy and traveling was slow.  Much was seen which we will see again later in the trip in more detail.  We did find a favorite restaurant of theirs which is an Indian restaurant.  I had never had Indian food before and it was very good though the portions were large and the several courses for a lunch were more than adequate.  

First a lentil/tomato soup in a large bowl was served with Indian bread which was delicious.  Then a large salad appeared and finally my  menu choice of a chicken and rice dish.  This was followed by an after dinner drink of mango juice with cognac.  

I have to admit it was interesting to see an Indian server speaking German.  When I spoke English to him he responded in English as well.  How many Americans can say that they speak two other languages other than their own?

Following dinner we drove to Marzahn which is the district in Berlin where their apartments are and where I would be having my guest apartment.  Uschi took my luggage to the guest apartment "to get your apartment prepared for you, Cheryl" and I went with Gerhard to his apartment to visit for a while.  His apartment, new to him since April of this year, is very smartly decorated with several rooms and a nice balcony overlooking Marzahn.  His computer room is wonderful and he showed me his new laptop computer in which he had installed hundreds and hundreds of family photos.  Books lined his shelf, many related to genealogy and/or the history of Germany.  After a short visit we were off to meet Uschi at my apartment.

The guest apartment was wonderful, spacious and well decorated.  I found that Uschi had brought in many items such as potpourri in each room, flowers, her own bed linens to make up the bed with the lovely  featherbed that German homes are known for.  A lovely dining room and kitchen were included, living room, two bedrooms, bath and large hallway with mirrors and a table.  There even were two balconies with one off the dining room and one off the living room.  Really it was a lovely place for an extended visit:








By now I was dragging since it was over 24 hours since I had first arisen yesterday morning and I was ready for some rest.  We made plans that I would get settled and perhaps take a nap and then meet in Gerhard's apartment at 7 for supper (their evening meal).  It was nice that both Gerhard's apartment and Uschi and her husband's apartment were all in the same complex.

I did unpack, got settled in and decided to just lie down for a short time.  I had brought a small alarm clock and figured I would just close my eyes and rest.  Rest, I did, because 3 hours later I awoke with a start and noticed the clock said 6:45.  I had to hustle to get spiffed up a little and go to Gerhard's apartment but I did make it.  Supper was set with breads, cheeses, lunch meats and the condiments that accompany such a meal.  Uschi came from her apartment as her husband, Harald, was still at work and we ate and visited.  Harald then arrived with their dog, Kira, and I was able to meet him as well.

I then went back to my apartment to retrieve the two gifts I had brought for them, one of which was a pictorial book of Southwestern Michigan sites taken by a photographer who photographs pictures from the air while piloting her own plane.  I thought this would be a good gift for Uschi and Harald as there were many beautiful photos and they are very interested in photography themselves.  They both looked thoroughly through the book and seemed to enjoy it.  I then gave Gerhard the Ancestry book that I had made for him and he, as well as Uschi and Harald, were most interested, each reading it through completely and commenting on many of the photos.

We visited longer into the evening and then I was ready to return to my apartment and catch up on lost sleep.  We made arrangements to meet at 8 in the morning at Uschi and Harald's apartment for breakfast.

Copyright 2008, Cheryl J. Schulte

No comments: