Friday, October 17, 2008

Berlin Trip, 2008 - Day 9

DAY 9 - MEETING NEW RELATIVES IN MARZAHN

Today dawned cold and rainy but the enjoyment of the vacation lingered and the weather really wasn't of much concern.  My apartment was so nice and spacious and the view was outstanding and even with the cold weather I would go out on the balcony and stand and look over Marzahn.  It was a most relaxing time.

Today breakfast was at Uschi and Harald's apartment where we talked about other Colberg cousins who would be arriving from the area of Meppen in northern Germany to spend a few days visiting with us.  This was exciting as I had hoped to meet other cousins and this couple, Jürgen and Christa Colberg, were making a special trip to Berlin in order to meet me as well.  They would be staying with me in the guest apartment which was certainly large enough to accommodate several groups of people.

They were due to arrive around noon and Gerhard left the apartment to walk to the train station to pick them up while I stayed at Uschi's.  At dinner time, around 1:30 pm, Gerhard arrived back with Jürgen and Christa and I was able to meet them.  Again, their English was very good and we had no difficulty in understanding each other.  It is just amazing how the German people of varying ages have better English skills than we would have German skills.

After a dinner of bean soup, breads, yogurt and fruit we decided to walk some around Marzahn despite the cold weather.  Again, there were many beautiful sites to see and we enjoyed the walk and the scenery.  The park, in the vicinity of the apartments, had many very unusual sculptures to view.  I wondered if they were from the same sculptor/artist but Gerhard said they were not.  Following are photos from Marzahn Park:







See the metal tag on the tree with the number?  The trees are numbered so that if they run away the police know where to return them!!!!  That was the story I was told.  Actually it is a government numbering system to keep track of how many trees have been planted.  I like the first story better!







Following this walk we returned to the apartments where we talked and viewed photos and videos of Uschi and Harald's previous vacations in Africa.

Coffee, tea and cake were again served at 5 pm.  I do so enjoy this ritual!! and after more visiting, supper was served with the traditional menu.

Later in the evening, Uschi and Harald's younger son, Oli, arrived with his new bride, Mandy, and I was able to greet Oli again who had visited us in America in 2000.  I was also able to meet his beautiful bride, Mandy, and chat some with them.  It was the day before Oli's birthday and his mother had promised him a trip to a local candle making factory where Uschi, Oli and Mandy were going to make candles.  They left for this excursion and I returned to my apartment at 11 for bed.

It had been a good day of visiting with new relatives and much family history talk.  I couldn't ask for a better day!

Copyright 2008, Cheryl J. Schulte

No comments: